HOW TO DECLUTTER YOUR HOME FAST
Want to declutter your home fast? Feeling overwhelmed? I know how you feel!
It’s actually easier to declutter your home than you think. It’s one of those jobs that we tend to put off because the thought of it is usually very much worse than the reality. Or simply, we just don’t know where to start.
I have never liked clutter. When I became a mom, the clutter seemed to pile up even more and the thought of clearing it just seemed like a huge mountain to climb. The more stuff we accumulated, the more got shoved into cupboards and drawers!
Everything I read talked about spending 30 days decluttering….. that’s a whole month! I have tried these decluttering challenges before and I lose momentum and don’t reach the end of the task so I feel deflated.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I will always look for the easiest and quickest way to do something, so spending a month decluttering my home wasn’t an option. I want it done now!
So if you want to declutter your home, but you’re feeling overwhelmed, you’re not alone!
Today I will show you how to declutter your home fast. This means:
- You will believe you can do it
- It will be easy for you to actually get started
- You will actually finish
- There will be time to do it more regularly
So, are you in?
Before we get started, remember, this is decluttering. It’s not organising and not cleaning, that comes later once the clutter is gone. For the purpose of this challenge, we will focus on the clutter only.
1. The Tools You Need to Declutter Your Home
- 4 cardboard boxes, one for charity, one to sell, one for rubbish, one for not sure what to do with it.
2. Write Down a List of Rooms You Need to Declutter
Write the room and the day you are going to declutter. This is really important as it’s your plan and without this you will lose momentum and give up. The list will be different for everyone, depending on what days and hours you work, your family commitments and what suits your life. The days don’t have to be consecutive but it helps if you want to declutter your home fast as it will get done much quicker.
To give you an example, here’s mine that I did:
- Lounge – Wednesday
- Kitchen – Thursday
- Bedroom 1 – Friday
- Bedroom 2 – Saturday
- Hall Cupbaord and Stairs Cupboard – Sunday
- Office – Monday
I have no clutter in my bathroom so didn’t need to include it but you can create your list to suit you. You may have more or less rooms but generally you should be spending no more than 6-10 days on decluttering.
3. How to Get Started
Now you have your tools and your plan, all you need to do is spend one hour on each of the rooms on your list.
Don’t think you’ve got an hour? Here are some ideas of how you can make more time to get the task done:
- Record your TV programmes instead of watching them.
- Clear your social diary, if friends want to meet up, make it the week after.
- Plan quick meals for the week so you spend less time cooking.
- Get off social media, it’s only a week!
If you do all of these things you’ll be surprised at how much time you actually do have!
Some helpful tips to declutter your home fast:
- For this to work, you need to be committed and ruthless.
- Don’t answer the phone while you’re decluttering.
- Use toddler nap times to your advantage.
- Don’t worry too much about the housework this week, you can catch up on it next week.
- Focus on the room you are decluttering at the time and nothing else.
- Try to declutter children’s bedrooms when they aren’t around. If that’s not possible, put on a dvd for them or give them something to play with to keep them occupied and hide all the things you intend to get rid of, in a cupboard or in the boot of your car!
When you have finished the decluttering, throw the rubbish, take your unwanted items to the charity shop, sell anything in good condition and sort out your ‘not sure’ box. Whatever you do, make sure you get rid of everything.
…..and that’s it, simple and fast!
Once you have decluttered your home, you can then focus on the cleaning and organising.
4. Staying Clutter Free
When it’s done you’ll feel amazing! The last thing you want is to start building up the clutter again.
If you are ready to declutter your life for good and live tidy, you need this book. It is jam packed full of amazing and quick tips. You will learn simple everyday habits that will change life forever.
So, make the decision, commit to the days and get the job done!
I hope you found this post helpful. If you try this, do leave a comment below to let me know how you get on.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
7 Ways to Save Money on Furniture
5 Ways to Make Money in Your Spare Time
6 Ways to Look and Feel Great on a Budget
How to Start a Money Making Blog